The Hageman Scholarship Fund was founded in memory of Mr. and Mrs. Herman E. Hageman to provide scholarships for dependent children of employees of Brightspeed who attend Lorain County Community College. The eligibility criteria has been updated: Four (4) $3,000 scholarships will be awarded each fall semester (as the fund warrants), for the entire academic school year (two semesters), to support Lorain County Community College and University Partnership students. Preference will be given to Brightspeed employees, employees’ spouses, children or grandchildren, nieces or nephews, as well as retirees in good standing, and their children/grandchildren (all to be identified by Brightspeed). Scholars must be in good academic standing with LCCC or the UP institution going into the following semester to receive the remainder of the award. Other important criteria are listed below under Additional Requirements.
Awards may only be used for tuition, books and fees; money not expended by the student for tuition, fees, or books must revert back to the Hageman Fund.
- Preference will be given to those applicants living in the Brightspeed service areas; however all applicants will be considered. Service areas include: Avon, Avon Lake, Sheffield Village, Sheffield Lake, Lorain, Vermilion, Amherst, South Amherst, and Birmingham;
- Preference will be given to applicants involved in extra-curricular activities such as art, music, drama, speech, and/or athletics;
- Applicants must maintain a class load of at least six (6) semester hours.
- If no Brightspeed associated students are eligible, the scholarships will be awarded to any LCCC/UP student meeting the above criteria.
- University Partnership Students: In your Universal Application, you must attach your most recent transcripts and proof of enrollment in the UP Institution for the semester of the scholarship (class schedule and charges - copies of the invoice/s for tuition, books and fees). LCCC students’ status can be accessed by LCCC’s Student Financial Aid; therefore, they are exempt of having to show proof of enrollment and transcripts.
Applicants for the scholarships must demonstrate all required criteria. Brightspeed associated students will be identified by Brightspeed representatives who will then notify LCCC’s Student Financial Aid Department (through LCCC Foundation) who in turn will give those students preference if all other criteria are met. All other LCCC student applicants will be processed by LCCC. Lorain County Community College is authorized by the Hageman Scholarship Fund to make the selection of all scholarship recipients according to the standards established by the college.